Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What is the #1 Must-Have food related item you need race day?

There are so many different products and fueling sources available on the market to be used to provide the necessary nutrients and energy for endurance based sports. If you look at all the various thing in your race nutrition toolkit, what is it that is mandatory for you to race at the highest level.

I remember many years ago that the Power Bar was my key food item as it brought me “back” many times when I was feeling bad in a long race. After eating so many of them I became tired of taste and moved on to other products. I would guess that we all have seen shifts in our race nutrition strategy over the years. Of course the most important ingredient is to ensure you have the appropriate kind and amount of calories to maintain energy levels. Another way to look at this question is what one item (food related - not water) would you want to have in the event of lost luggage while traveling to your key race. Also, assume there are no opportunities to purchase or ship the key food item before the race.


This one had me thinking, but I would have to say it would be my homemade peanut butter granola bars!


What do you think - please let me know your thoughts and feel free to email me at wayne.kurtz@aon.com or post on RaceTwitch Fan page!

No comments:

Post a Comment