Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Great Race Season

We all race for many reasons and it's always interesting to ask other's what makes a great race season.  Of course the obvious one's:   no injuries, setting a PR at a particular event, knocking off a dream race, etc.

These are my top 10 Items for a Great Race Season (no specific order)

1.  I race/complete every event on the schedule depending on how it's classified (A, B, or C)
2.  DNF is never an option and remaining injury free
3.  Push for a high ranking in the IUTA - ultra distance triathlon points series
4.  Compete in a minimum of 2 great events in Europe
5.  Finish and race well in my most important race, the DECA Iron
6.  Meet new friends that are passionate about racing
7.  Completing a few ultra fun runs
8.  Experiencing a race where I have to dig very deep mentally
9.  Finish a long event strong with a focus on no-tapering and tired legs to prepare for the A race
10. Follow my mantra in every race, "I  will persist until I succeed"

Getting ready for the season, I am!!   Train hard.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Wayne

    I race for the moments of joy. And I feel joy when I feel I am alive. And when you are pushing yourself thru an Ultra event (Tri or just running) it’s a feeling of life in every nerve, muscle and thought. It’s a moment when you have the opportunity to spend almost every second with yourself. A time to block out everything else in life, except my children. When I dig deep in my well of mental strength, I often think of my children. I am picturing them and their faces makes me keep on moving, even if my sense, if I got any sense, telling me to stop moving and just get some rest. The joy of participating in races of this level is also to be among others that are just doing the same thing that you are doing. If they have choosen to participate in something like this, they must be your soul mates. I love the feeling of being happy to see one of your friends crossing the finish line hours before you do. I can feel his or her feeling of relief. That’s a feeling of joy. I race to feel the freedom from boundaries. I will never win a race, but every time I am out there I am a winner. I am moving, and as long as I am moving I am alive. And to be alive is the gift you receive every morning you catch light. Another morning to move the boundaries of your own imagination. Imagine beyond the Iron. I didn’t before I dared.
    Do your best and dare to live
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete